Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Glasgow and Holy City

So, I arrived in Glasgow after the worst train ride ever from Coventry. Unfortunately a whole set of trains were broken down and so our train was horribly overcrowded with people filling the aisles and spaces in between cars. But, after 7 hours on the train, I got there.

Woke up Sunday morning and walked in the rain and wind to the Glasgow Cathedral where a Church of Scotland congregation now meets. I finally got to the cathedral after a half hour walk and tried to get in but the door was locked. Then a man in a full-blown tux with tails came to the door and asked if I was there for the service. He let me in and was very kind and then instructed me to go to the front part of the church and they would tell me where to sit. It was so formal. All the ushers in tuxes and silver cravats (sp??). Everyone seemed so dressed up and I was just in black pants, a shirt, and a sweater. Oh well. They were going to have to get over it. But, then some folks came in in jeans and such and I felt better.

I was given an order of worship and a worship book which had all the psalms and hymn words but no music. It seemed a very formal service as we had to stand for the clergy entrance, etc... But the pastors were very nice and very welcoming. I definitely think some of the formality on the front end was not reflected in the warmness of the pastors. The Associate Pastor, a young woman, preached and did a fairly nice job. But, you can never tell with those female Associate Pastors, they tend to be trouble (hehehehe).

After worship, I went over the the St. Mungo Religious Museum and Exhibit. It was interesting and pretty well done, trying to describe and include the 6 major religions around the world.

After eating the cafe, I went back to the cathedral and walked around and took pictures. It is a beautiful cathedral, but they have started to all feel the same in some ways.

Then I went to St. George's Square and took a bus ride tour around the city.

The most remarkable thing of the day was, without a doubt, Holy City. Holy City is an outgrowth of the Iona community in Glasgow. Once a month this event happens--an evening of gathering, workshops, and worship. It was the perfect bookend to my trip. It couldn't have been a more appropriate service--all about journeys. Holy City is about a 3 hour event. You arrive in the Fellowship Hall of this church where they have set up chairs all over in little semi-circles with tables and candles in the middle of each little cluster. We begin by being welcomed by Graham Maule, a very prolific writer and composer for the Iona Community. Then we are taught a series of songs which will be used later in the service in true Iona style.

I immediately felt at home again. Ever since Coventry, I have wanted to go back to Iona (well, let's be honest, ever since I left Iona I have wanted to go back.) But, this felt kind of like it. I was surrounded by people who were passionate about worship and music and social justice and who loved the island and the community as well. Then we broke up into workshops--we were given the option of 4 different workshops. I picked one about worship and the future of the church. It was very interesting. After the workshops of course we had to have tea--we are still in the UK after all!

Then, was the best part. The worship service. As I mentioned, it was all about journeys. We sang and read Scripture, and heard three monologues of people who had gone on journeys--Peter, Barnabas, and Paul. We then prayed for major events in the world of the last year--joys and concerns. We prayed month by month for the journey of this world. Then we were invited to offer our own journeys to God. Down the middle of the semi-circular chair setup was a timeline marking the last year. We were invited to come forward and make a mark on the timeline, marking a significant event in the past year and then were invited to take a luggage tag with us to remind us that God travels with us. I would say only about half of the people in attendance participated in this bit. But that was ok. This is a space where you are invited to worship as will best suit you. But, this was truly a sending out service for me. I rarely get emotional in worship, but I even got a little choked up. The service was amazing and people from all walks of life sat and sang and prayed together, seeking to build a more faithful world What more could you ask for? I felt like God was speaking to me through the words and music, about my own journey this past month. It has been a remarkable one and I was struggling watching the end nearing.

But, this community, this music, this liturgy--it was the bookend to my month. It prepared me to go back and fully serve to the best of my ability. Honestly, I would have got on a plane that night. I had been reminded of the lessons and wonders of this month's journey and sent forth with the promise that God was going with me. What a gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment