Monday, June 6, 2011

My Last Day--Balloch

A remarkable last day! Couldn't have asked for a more perfect combination of doing and being or more lovely weather.

Went out to Balloch today which sits on the southern shores of Loch Lomond. It was a little drizzly on the train ride and I was afraid it would be that way all day. When I got to Balloch, I went over to the boat docks to see about the possibility of a boat tour of Loch Lomond later in the day. I didn't even get the whole question out of my mouth when the captain of the boat grabbed my arm and said, "C'mon! We're leaving for a tour now."

So, I jumped right on the boat and off we went. At first, I was disappointed because it was cloudy and drizzly. The clouds were covering the Highland mountains. But, within 15 minutes of the tour starting, the clouds literally began to lift and the sun came out. By the end of the boat ride, we were riding in warm sun looking across the blue water to the mountains of the Highlands. It was glorious!

Then I decided to hike through the Castle City Park. The whole gardens and property around the Balloch Castle have been converted into biking and hiking trails. I probably spent over 2 hours wandering in the sunshine through the gardens and up and down the paths, getting breathtaking views of Loch Lomond.

After the hike in Castle City Park, went walking the other direction and found a cute little area right on the water with restaurants, shops, and an aquarium. I enjoyed some lunch with views over the water and even finished my book. Then I just walked around the shops and the docks and took it all in. There were all kinds of people out enjoying the beautiful, sunny day--young families, older couples, teenage couples. It was a wonderful slice of humanity and such a peaceful place to be and take it all in.

There is no doubt I will miss Scotland. It has been a place of respite and renewal for me as well as a place of discernment and challenge.

Upon returning to Glasgow, I got some food from the local grocery for dinner and decided to go see Sound of Music. The show was AMAZING and it was such a great, fun close to my trip. The cutest thing was all the cute little families with these precious little girls all dressed up to go to the theater. The best was the fathers and grandfathers who took their daughters--so precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment