Thursday, May 19, 2011

Castles and Rainbows

5/18/11

Woke up this morning multiple times, but finally got out of the bed at 8:15. Again, after packing up and checking out I left my luggage in the hostel and went to grab some breakfast at the Granary cafe.

Annie (from Atlanta), Brodie (from New Zealand), and I went out to Dunvegan Castle. It was fun to have some folks to travel with. Brodie was very interesting and works in forestry in New Zealand. He knew a lot of the Scottish history and taught me a lot going through the castle. Annie is a bit of a tornado. She blusters wherever she goes. But she is hilarious and it is nice to have new friends and some company.

After touring the castle we went into the gardens but it alternated between being sunny and POURING rain. I would have liked to have spent more time in the gardens before the bus, but I enjoyed what I did see of it. It was absolutely lovely. The gardens were GLORIOUS. Almost a little Eden behind that castle.

On the bus ride back to the hostel, Annie slept and Brodie and I got to talk. He is one AMAZING person. I do hope we stay in touch. He has such a sense of adventure. It's just a totally different mentality. Instead of being stable and responsible, these Aussies and New Zealanders run off and explore the world, working only to make more money to travel. Had lunch with Brodie and Annie before catching my bus from Portree to Kyle of Lochalsh on the mainland.

The train from Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness and the ride is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. It is everything I was hoping to see of Scotland--locks, rivers, mountains. Hillsides plummeting down into riverbeds with waterfalls and precious cottages dotting the landscape. There are sheep and baby lambs running and playing everywhere. Ahhhh....what a blessing. How lucky am I to get to see such a magnificent portion of God's creation.

I wish my camera could take pictures of this. But, on the other hand, probably better it can't so I can relax and enjoy the scenery.

So, as we are riding through amazing scenery, out comes the sun from the rain and appears the most BEATUFIUL , bold rainbow. I can actually see where is begins and ends. It is a complete rainbow and out trains seems to be driving right under it. It is truly remarkable. Maybe this is God promising me he will not destroy my trip with a flood. After all, it has been raining since I left Iona. hahaha.

1 comment:

  1. I thought you might want to know of an angel returning home, Dave:
    ***************************
    For those of you who attended Elizabeth Jones' memorial service, this was one of the poems she had saved in her "Jewel" envelope. Thought you might like a copy or to read it again.
    Patricia

    DRINKING FROM MY SAUCER aka MY CUP RUNNETH OVER; DRINK FROM THE SAUCER
    Jimmy Dean

    I never made a fortune and it's probably too late now
    But I don't worry about that much, I'm happy anyhow
    And as I go along life's journey, I'm reaping better than I sowed
    I'm drinking from my saucer, cause my cup has overflowed.

    I ain't got a lot of riches, and sometimes the goings tough
    but I've got kids who love me and that makes me rich enough
    I just thank God for his blessings and the mercies he's bestowed.
    I'm drinking from my saucer, cause my cup has overflowed.

    I remember times when things went wrong, and my faith got a little thin
    but then all at once the dark clouds broke, and the sun peeked through again
    so Lord help me not to gripe about the tough rows I hoed
    I'm drinking from my saucer, cause my cup has overflowed.

    And if God gives me strength and courage, when the way grows steep and rough
    I'll not ask for another blessing, I'm already blessed enough
    And may I never be too busy to help another bear his load
    I'll keep drinking from my saucer, cause my cup has overflowed.

    ReplyDelete