Friday, May 13, 2011

Friends and Feasting

5/12/11

Woke up this morning in plenty of time to do my duties in the Refectory. It is amazing. I have yet to sleep until my alarm clock. The sun comes up very early here--around 4:45am and doesn't set until around 10:35pm. They said by June the sun will set at 11pm and will rise again at 3am.

I am still enchanted with the island, despite the ever-changing weather. There is so much to explore here and it is a place just to be. It has been a long time since I have taken time just to be. So, I have decided to stay on the island a couple more days. After the Staffa trip yesterday, I booked a room at the Argyll Hotel right down on the water. It will give me some space for digestion and reflection as well as give me time and internet capabilities to finish planning my trip.


Today was another wonderful day. Worship in the morning, as usual. Then we had our final sessions with David. I actually enjoyed these as they talked more directly about spirituality, Celtic Spirituality, and the Iona Community in particular.


This afternoon I went on a guided tour of the Abbey which was interesting and pointed out a lot of things I hadn't noticed while living there.

After the tour I went and hiked up Dun'I (the tallest "mountain" on the island) with my friends Jen and John from Australia. It was a tougher climb than I expected and when we got to the top the wind was howling and it started to rain. We found a spot just under the top, behind a rock and sat there for a while protected from the elements. We talked and laughed together until our stomachs hurt. Then we climbed down the mountain and went into the village to have Mussels in white wine sauce. We shared that and a bottle of wine while sitting by the window and looking out over the water. We talked about everything from Taize (where they had been before this) to relationships to church work. It was a wonderful time. I am so grateful for them--their love and friendship during this week. I have already told them I plan to go to Australia and I intend to make good on that promise.

Then we had our Table Space service in the evening which was VERY meaningful. As we came into the sanctuary they had long tables down the middle of the choir stalls. On the table was a line of stones interrupted every so often by candles that were also surrounded by rocks from on the island. I took a seat right at the table. The way they had the benches and chairs set up everyone surrounded the table three rows deep on each side. The whole service was done seated. The liturgist was wonderful--she set the perfect tone for the service. We sang this fantastic hymn which was not in the hymnary. It went:
"Come and feast at Wisdom's Table
Come and lay your burdens down
Come and find the power in weakness
Wisdom's cross and Wisdom's Crown"
The words were phenomenal as was the music. Then we shared the meal together. It was a simple service, as is all Iona worship. But, it was wonderful because it was completely about the communion meal and feasting together.

After worship we went out to the pub to celebrate both Bill's birthday and Jane's anniversary of her ordination. There were about 15 of us. It was a lovely time together and made me so sad to think that I had to say goodbye to all these people.

Thought of the day:
At the end of every meal we have a moment of silence and then the leader says, "Thank you God. Amen." Simple but perfect. We live lives of thanks or should, at least. God is good to us. God is still moving and speaking and guiding and loving. As long as that is the case, then there is no need to worry or fear but instead live lives of thanks. It is hard to do, if we are honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment