Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Note About the Weather

Let me say this to start: I love Scotland.

But, I must say I have had the wackiest weather here that I have ever seen. First, there is not a day I haven't had a "wee bit" of rain at least. Some days it has poured. But, most days, there is this beautiful alternating of rain and sun. But, friends, we are not talking rain in the morning, sun in the afternoon. We are talking about rain for ten minutes, shining sun and blue skies for 10 minutes, rain for ten minutes, sun for ten minutes, cloud for ten minutes, rain for ten minutes, sun....you get the picture. It is wild. All I have to say is, layers are a good thing in clothing and ALWAYS carry your raincoat.

As if that wasn't weird enough, while I was in Edinburgh, we experienced hurricane-force winds across the entire of Scotland. In the Highlands gusts got up to 100 mph. However, in Edinburgh we only experienced gusts up to 65 or 70 mph. So glad I was on an outdoor walking tour for all this--definitely was an adventure.

And then, if that wasn't strange enough, we have been experiencing the ash cloud from the Iceland Volcano. It has canceled many flights going out of Scotland but I am hopeful it will clear by the time I have to leave.

P.S.-I had to add this. So, I was in my hostel in Edinburgh and it was another rainy morning (which of course turned sunny and rainy and sunny again) and a guy from Norway was having breakfast with his friend. His friend started complaining about not wanting to go out in the "bad weather." At that, the Norwegian guy popped up from his cereal bowl and replied without hesitation, "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing." I laughed so hard. But, a good rule to live by when traveling in Scotland!

No comments:

Post a Comment