Thursday, May 19, 2011

Traveling to Skye

5/16/11
OBAN TO PORTREE, ISLE OF SKYE

Woke up early this morning to catch my train to Mallaig. I was super excited about this train ride as I was riding of the famous West Highland line over the famous Harry Potter Bridge (of course, not on the steam train). The views were absolutely beautiful, but the weather was so foggy and rainy, and cloudy, I don't think i got the full effect--guess I'll just have to do it again!! AND I was terribly sleepy. So, rain+sleepy Kim+gentle rocking of train=fighting to stay awake.

But, it was beautiful nonetheless. Then I caught the ferry from Mallaig to Armandale (on the island of Skye). After only a half hour on the ferry, we landed in Armandale where it was pouring down rain but where I immediately found a bus heading to Portree. I thought the 6 pound fee was pretty steep until I realized it took over an hour and a half to get from Armandale to Portree. The sights were beautiful but again I struggled to stay awake.

I was worried, once we got to Portree I wouldn't be able to find my hostel, but we drove right by it on our way to the bus stop and it turns out it sat just off the main square where I had to pick up all the buses. GREAT! So, checked into the hostel, got up to my GREAT top floor room, met my roommate--an older woman from Paris, and then walked a bit around town, stopping first at the Tourist Information center. They were SO helpful, giving me maps and marked up bus schedules.

That evening, I went back to the hostel, did some e-mailing and went to bed around 10:30--it was wonderful!! And quiet!

No comments:

Post a Comment