Monday, May 23, 2011

Inverness

Spent two days in Inverness and enjoyed bot the town and the surrounding area. The first morning I got up and found a sweet little cafe to have some breakfast and an actually good cup of coffee. Wile the tea over here is wonderful, the coffee is not so good.

After breakfast, I went for a walk into old town Inverness and took a lovely walk along the river to see the islands and the park. The sun was actually shining and so it was absolutely beautiful. I probably took about a hundred pictures.

Then in the afternoon I went on a boat ride down the Caledonian canal and inti Loch Ness. Unfortunately didn't see Nessie. She must have been sleeping.

On the boat I met this kind and fascinating girl from Argentina. We instantly got along and later found out we were staying not only in the same hostel but in the same room in Inverness. We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening together.

When the boat ride was over it docked at Urquhart Castle and we went around and had an hour to explore before our bus came to get us. Afterwards, we had dinner together and talked about everything from relationships to travel to politics. It was a fascinating conversation and she was amazing company.

I the evening some more folks from my room (2 girls from France and a couple from Canada) went out to hear a bagpipe/accordion duo. they were great!!

The next morning I woke up and my Argentinian friend was gone. It actually made me a little sad. I had so enjoyed getting to know her. But thank goodness for Facebook, we can stay in touch!

The second day I went out to Culloden Battlefield, the sight of the famous Jacobite uprising and defeat in Scotland. The museum if FANTASTIC and everything was very well done. I think I am starting to get a better grip on Scottish history. After getting back from the battlefield I took another walk around old town Inverness.

Inverness is an amazing city, someplace I would definitely come back to. I met some amazing people at my hostel and actually had a taste if sun both days (shocking!!!!)

The hostel was a little grungy and iffy, but the awesome people made up for it.

Now it is off to Stirling and Edinburgh. Yay for castles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment