Sunday, May 15, 2011

Goodbyes and Gateways

I had to say goodbye to Iona this morning as the 9am ferry pulled away in the driving rain.

It is sad, but I know that someday I will be back--even if is a while away. Last night I met a woman at the Abbey who was back at Iona for the first time in 30 years--how awesome! Even if it takes 30 years, I hope I will be back.

They say when you leave Iona you leave a piece of your soul there and a piece of Iona goes with you (not just rocks from the beach). I can believe it.

Iona is a place that marches to the beat of a different drum, but the same drummer that drives the beat of all of life. Perhaps the beat is closer to the heartbeat of God. Or, perhaps, as we breathe and slow down, we are able to hear the beat more clearly.

I have learned so much this week about worship, Christian community, discernment, and spiritual practices. I hope I can bring as much of it back with me as possible.

Today is a traveling day. I made it to Oban and plan to take a trip up to Isle of Skye tomorrow. Apparently, it has been named the 4th most beautiful island in the world by National Geographic. I will let you know! I am excited to take the West Highland Rail (famous for being 1. beautiful and 2. going over the bridge made famous in the train scene in Harry Potter). Hope the weather is good so the views are as spectacular as described.

P.S.-Finally figured out how to get pics on my ipad. I will post some pics of Iona. It will be hard to choose just a few!!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're having a phenomenal time! Post some pictures! I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

    ReplyDelete