Friday, May 13, 2011

Staying and Leaving

5/13/11

A bittersweet day. I have chosen to stay on the island a couple more days for reflection and preparation for the rest of my journey. However, I had the sad duty of waving goodbye to everyone else as they took the boat over to Mull. Watching them go way was painful, but a grateful moment for me. I had tears in my eyes as I hugged them and waved, but I also was so grateful for the part they played as we walked together through this week. Being realistic, I will probably not remember all of them or many of them. But, they were pilgrims along the way and that is a bond that I will be forever grateful to have had with them.

The goodbye service before they all left was rich as well. It made me kind of sad I wasn't departing either. They really know, liturgically, how to wrap up a week here at Iona. It is a rich goodbye and probably one I will read after worship on Saturday evening as I am planning on leaving at the 9:20 ferry on Sunday morning.

I spent most of the day by myself--catching up on journals (and blog posts)as well as taking a hike to the North Beach of the island.

However, this day had surprising hellos as well. At dinner I met two young women from Denmark. They are visiting Iona on a whim while they are studying in Glasgow. They asked me where they should go and I told them about this great hike to Columba's Bay. And I offered to go with them in the morning. Looks like I already have new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment