Sunday, May 29, 2011

St. Andrews

One of my "Edinburgh days" I took a day trip out to St. Andrews. Unfortunately, it turned out be just an afternoon trip because the buses got messed up because of the wind (the wind knocked out all power to the bus station). But, when I got out to St. Andrews, it was worth all the hassle.

It turned out to be a beautiful, sunny day. I made my way around the Cathedral ruins (rather quickly) and the Castle ruins. Unfortunately, I only had an hour and a half to go to both places since my bus had been so delayed. But, I really did get to see everything I wanted to. The Cathedral Ruins are absolutely stunning!! There is a sense of peace there, kind of like the peace of Iona. It was a quiet day and I was alone in the ruins, walking around the old cathedral, the area of the cloisters, and the graveyards. And of course, the setting looking out on the water doesn't hurt a thing.

The Castle ruins were quite awesome as well. My favorite thing about this castle was the Tunnel and Counter-tunnel. You see, at one point a group of local lords had taken over the castle and killed the bishop (or archbishop...I can't remember) who lived in there. The Earl of Arran wanted to recapture the castle, but didn't want to do a full-on siege because they were holding his son captive and ransom in the castle. So, he and his men dug a tunnel under the castle. The plan was to get underneath and blow one of the side walls just enough so they could get in. But, the lords inside the castle figured out what they were doing and dug a counter-tunnel (with a couple of false starts), following the sound of the other guys. Eventually the two tunnels met and the defending lords were able to keep away the Earl and his men (at least for a time). The awesome part is you can actually go into the tunnels under the castle. What is most notable is how the Earl's tunnels are large and actually have carved-out steps (as they hoped to carry animals and supplies down there) while the counter-tunnel is tiny and rushed. You actually have to crouch down to get through (yes, even me...I know someone is bound to make a short joke).

While in St. Andrews I found a few more church ruins, watched some guys play the 18th hole at the golf course, and also followed the recommendation to a phenomenal fish and chips shop.

But, the most remarkable thing that happened was at the very end of my visit. I had about an hour left before my bus and I was kicking myself for not getting more organized and getting out to St. Andrews earlier to spend more time in the cathedral ruins. But, I decided to walk down to that end of town again. Though the gates would be closed, I would still be able to see over the wall and through the gates and get another view of the cathedral. So, as I walk up, I am taking it all in again and then out of nowhere (it seems) forms a complete rainbow from right to left. It arched over the whole of the ruins. I cannot even begin to describe how beautiful it was. It was like God was smiling down and assuring me that I had sen what I needed to see. I took as many pictures as I could (see photobucket) and then just stood and took it all in until it disappeared just before I had to head to my bus.

Amazing day, amazing place.

1 comment: